Vegan Spiced Lentil Curry -- a delicious and hearty recipe that is Vegan/ Plant-Based , what more could you ask for? This protein-packed, vegan recipe is filled with flavor + warm spices that is truly a dream come true, need I say more?
I have been wanting to make a lentil dish for a long time and got inspired while trying to find healthy vegan options that also gave me that comfort feeling. This recipe is warm and filling, which reminds me of one of my favorite winter recipes, my Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach coconut curry.
Even though both are warm and comforting, the major difference between the two recipes is the amount of protein that lentils add to this curry! The spices and flavors of the other ingredients pair so well with the lentils since they absorb each one! By the way, I found the perfect addition to this recipe using sweet potato to plate this delicious dish!
- 1 can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of brown lentils
- onion (diced)
- cumin Seeds
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- cayenne (to taste)
- dash of cinnamon
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 3 cups of baby spinach
- Set your oven to 400 degrees F
- Rinse and cut sweet potatoes in half and brush with olive oil to be placed on a foil covered baking tray.
- Put sweet potatoes in the oven flat side down and set a timer for 20 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, put in your cumin seeds until fragrant then add in the diced onion and cook until translucent.
- In the meantime, while the sweet potato is cooking, cook your lentils according to your purchased package.
- Make sure to consistently check the sweet potatoes, depending on your oven they could use another 10-15 minutes. You want to cook until they are nice and crispy on the top while soft to the center
- Once the onion is fully cooked, add in the can of petite diced tomatoes and the additional spices to taste.
- By now the lentils should be fully cooked and you can add them to your pot.
- Add in the baby spinach and stir until cooked
- The sweet potatoes should be out of the oven and start to carve out a chunk of the sweet potato halves so that the lentils have a nook to be placed into. (See photo for reference!)
- Serve, share and enjoy!
If you need something to warm you up on a cold, winter evening...I hope you choose this Vegan Spiced Lentil Curry to be the dish that makes you all warm + fuzzy on the inside.