gluten free stuffed shells with baked feta and tomato are a delicious pasta dish. not only is it incredibly tasty but it's easy to make and a healthy meal!
this is my play on the tiktok trend with the feta pasta bake. i haven't seen anyone else stuff pasta shells with feta cheese yet, so why not?
not only is this recipe incredibly delicious...but it's also easy to make!
with just a few ingredients, you can whip up this dish in no time. you can make it ahead of time to have throughout the week or make during the week for an easy but healthy dinner.
ingredients used for this recipe
- gluten free pasta shells
- feta cheese
- grape tomatoes
- fresh basil
- pasta sauce
why feta cheese?
we're getting creative and unique by using feta cheese. but to be honest, there's no particular reason besides it being absolutely delicious!
the feta cheese bakes so well with the tomato and fresh basil.
you can easily stuff the pasta shells with this mixture and very minimal effort needed!
frequently asked questions
you can use any pasta sauce you'd like. my favorites to use are a tomato basil or classic marinara to match the flavors of the feta tomato mixture.
i use the tinkyada jumbo pasta shells that can be purchased here on amazon.
store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
related pasta recipes
- pasta pesto salad with sun dried tomatoes
- keto greek salad with chickpea pasta
- watermelon pasta salad with feta cheese and fresh basil
- high protein meatless baked ziti (single serving)
if you try this recipe, please consider leaving a rating and comment at the end of this blog post! it is incredibly helpful to my business and to your fellow readers as well.
feta tomato stuffed pasta shells
- 1 package jumbo pasta shells i use tinkyada to make it gf
- 1 block feta cheese
- 1 container grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- ½ cup basil (fresh) for cooking in the oven and topping
- 1 jar pasta sauce i use tomato basil to tie in the basil flavor
pasta shell filling
- preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- drizzle half of the olive oil in a baking tray. i used a 13x8 sized baking dish
- place the block of feta in the middle and drizzle the rest of the olive oil on top. spread the tomatoes in an even layer around the cheese
- top the cheese with the dried oregano and basil
- add about half of the fresh basil onto the tomatoes
- put the baking dish into the oven and bake for 35 minutes
- once cooked and the feta + tomatoes have a light char on top. mix the feta and tomatoes until fully combined. you can expect the tomatoes to burst and the sauce to become a light orange color.
- let this mixture cool for 15 minutes, at this time your pasta shells should be about done
- after you get your cheese stuffing in the oven, start your pasta water and bring it to a boil
- when the pasta water reaches a boil, add in your pasta shells
- cook the pasta according to the package
- drain the pasta water and rinse under cool water once the pasta is cooked (i prefer al dente)
bring it all together
- turn your oven up to a broil
- add your pasta sauce into an oven-safe skillet
- once the pasta shells are slightly cooled and the mixture has sat for at least ten minutes. it is time to assemble!
- take each pasta shell and fill each one (mine took about 2 TBSP of the feta cheese filling)
- you can put all the shells straight into the skillet on top of the pasta sauce
- bake in the oven on broil for about 5-10 minutes until the shells are heated throughout and you can see those crispy cheese bubbles start to form
- let it cool slightly as it's going to be extremely hot coming out of the oven
- top with fresh basil for serving and enjoy!