small batch chocolate cake is my go-to these days when i want something indulgent but good for me too! using protein powder, this cake is a delicious way to hit your protein goals.
sometimes we don't need to make an entire sheet cake and want a smaller-batch cake recipe. this recipe, will give you that and MORE! it's moist without being too dense and full of rich, chocolate flavor.
these recipe is perfect for a healthy snack using simple ingredients but also a treat that you can have for dessert. no baking degree needed to make this cake, toss out your boxed cake mix and grab the ingredients below to treat yourself to this tasty cake.
ingredients used in this recipe
benefits of protein powder
the protein powder used in this recipe is one of the highest quality products you can buy. in addition, it is one of the best i've used in baking due to the high quality processing.
the protein powder i use is naturally sweetened to give a great chocolate flavor. perfect for this chocolate cake recipe! making this cake a perfect post workout, energy boosting meal or snack!
frequently asked questions
you want to use the exact measurements indicated because protein powder has a tendency to dry out cake. by adding the fats such as greek yogurt and buttermilk, this cake recipe retains the perfect amount of moistness!
by creaming the fats and sugar together, that will add extra moistness to the cake. also, this recipe uses buttermilk which is always a good choice when you want a moist cake.
i would not add any baking soda to this recipe or replace the baking powder with baking soda. baking powder has a more neutral taste as well as containing both a base and acid.
yes of course!! i will never argue with adding some chocolate chips or chunks. this cake recipe is able to hold up to any additional mix-ins.
you could make this cake vegan friendly by making vegan buttermilk, eggs and using vegan yogurt. however, i have not tested this recipe using those ingredients and may not come out as well as it would with the ingredients below.
- healthy protein brownie
- single-serving banana chocolate cake
- banana protein muffins
- chocolate coconut date balls
if you try this small batch chocolate cake recipe, please consider leaving a rating and comment at the end of this blog post! it is incredibly helpful to my business and your fellow readers.
small batch chocolate cake using protein powder
- ¼ cup monk fruit sweetener
- 1 egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup gluten free flour
- 1 scoop chocolate protein powder
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- frosting of choice optional
- preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- in a large mixing bowl whisk your sugar, buttermilk and greek yogurt together until light and fluffy
- fold in the gluten free flour, chocolate protein powder, cacao powder and baking powder
- mix until fully combined
- line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spray it with nonstick spray
- pour the batter into the loaf pan and spread into an even layer
- bake in the oven for ~30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through
- the cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean, with a few crumbs
- let the cake cool completely before frosting or enjoy as is!