this vegan bolognese sauce recipe is a high protein, vegan dinner that is delicious. a tasty recipe that is easy to make when you are in a time crunch.
when the weather is cold, nothing beats a warm bowl of bolognese and pasta! however, I much rather spend my time cuddled up in a blanket watching a movie or reading a book than spending hours in the kitchen to make one meal.
this vegan bolognese sauce recipe gives you the best of both worlds. you can spend more time enjoying the relaxation that cold, winter day while the spaghetti squash roasts in the oven and the sauce cooks on the stove.
so what are you waiting for?! let's get cooking!
- spaghetti squash
- crushed tomatoes
- olive oil
frequently asked questions
you can add any other beans or grains that you'd like to add! feel free to get creative with spices and crunch factors as well.
you can use red or green but i typically use green for this recipe!
the lentis are a high protein ingredient, very common in the vegan diet. lentils have tons of nutritional value and may also lead to lower cholesterol.
store in an airtight container for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 1 month.
related recipes for a healthy dinner
- keto buddha bowl
- potato spinach and chickpea curry
- high protein baked ziti
- healthy fall ancient grain bowl
if you try this recipe, please consider leaving a rating and comment at the end of this blog post. it is incredibly helpful to my business and other readers.
vegan bolognese sauce recipe
- 1 spaghetti squash halved and seeds scooped out
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 28oz can hunt's crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 tbsp garlic minced or chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp basil
- pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil for cooking
- preheat your oven to 400 degrees F
- line and grease a baking sheet with foil. place the spaghetti squash face down on the tray and put into the oven.
- after 20 minutes turn the tray 180 degress for even cooking/caramelization. bake for an additional 20 minutes and while that's cooking we will start the bolognese sauce
- pour olive oil into a large saucepan, add in the garlic and simmer on low until the garlic has some caramelization
- add the diced onion and carrots, into the saucepan
- simmer over medium heat until softened (about 10 minutes)
- add in the crushed tomatoes, green lentils and all the spices
- mix until combined and let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally
- once the lentils are cooked, grab a bowl and fill up that spaghetti squash with the bolognese sauce