honey sugar cookies are the perfect dessert to make when you want a sweet treat without processed sugar. an easy and tasty recipe to make for a holiday or fun cookie decorating activity.
no one wants to eat a hard or crunchy sugar cookie. we love a soft cookie with the perfect balance of sweetness. these honey sugar cookies are just that AND more. the honey adds such a unique flavor and complements the vanilla so perfectly. in addition, honey sugar cookies means that this recipe is refined sugar free, so they're also better for you too.
whether you're making these for valentine's day or as a fun cookie decorating activity, this recipe is perfect for you! this is an easy and delicious cookie recipe that you can whip up in no time.
ingredients used in this recipe
- gluten-free flour
- vanilla extract
frequently asked questions
yes you can! depending on what you choose to use, would change the recipe from being refined sugar free. i suggest using maple syrup if you don't have honey on hand!
yes! just replace the egg with a flax egg. a flax egg is 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed mixed with 2 tbsp of water. make sure to let it sit for 5-10 minutes before adding into the batter. this allows the mixture to thicken and become a great egg replacement! also, you can replace the butter with any vegan butter as well as coconut oil in this recipe.
the perfect sugar cookie is lightly golden on the bottom and cooked fully in the center.
the butter can be replaced with vegan butter or coconut oil. however, i don't recommend using an olive oil instead. this would add too strong of a flavor and overtake the gentle honey flavor in the cookies.
related cookie recipes (that are also gluten-free!)
if you try this honey sugar cookie recipe, please consider leaving a rating and comment! it is incredibly helpful to my business and to other readers who want to try the recipe.
honey sugar cookies, refinded sugar free and gluten free friendly
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- ¾ tsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 TBSP salted butter
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- melt the salted butter and leave separate to cool slightly
- mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl
- combine all of the wet ingredients in a bowl
- pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until fully combined. make sure to not over mix the dough
- form the dough into a flat disk, cover in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour. this allows the butter to get cold so that the honey sugar cookies are fluffy + soft
- remove from fridge and let cool for about five minutes. this allows the dough to soften just enough so that as you roll it out, cracks don't form
- roll the dough out until it is about ¼ inch thick and then use cookie cutters to make your cookies!
- repeat until all the dough is used up
- place the honey sugar cookies on the lined baking sheet with 1 inch between each cookie
- next, bake for 5 minutes or until the bottoms of the honey sugar cookies are slightly golden. my oven is extremely hot even at 350 degrees F so it does not take long for these babies to bake!
- let the honey sugar cookies cool and then decorate with frosting or eat them plain (yes, they are so good you don't even need to frost them!)