Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes are the perfect brunch recipe. These fluffy pancakes are incredibly easy to make, gluten free friendly and absolutely delicious.
There's nothing better than a nice stack of buttermilk pancakes. You see all these recipes about "fluffy" buttermilk pancakes, but let’s be honest, they don’t look that fluffy in the pictures or when you make them in real life.
That's why I created this recipe for buttermilk pancakes! The result will be the fluffiest pancakes you have ever had.
Using simple ingredients and an easy process, you will love adding these Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes to your Sunday brunch.
- Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (or regular All Purpose Flour) - You can use either flour at the same 1:1 ratio.
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Buttermilk or Kefir - Either will work in this recipe and will yield the same result.
- Butter - I use salted butter, however, you can use unsalted then add salt to taste.
- Granulated sugar - Regular Cane Sugar / Coconut Sugar will also work in this recipe.
- Vanilla extract - Adds a great flavor to make these classic buttermilk pancakes.
- Maple Syrup - Use for topping along with fresh fruit, nuts or anything else that your heart desires.
Why is buttermilk so important in making pancakes?
The buttermilk in this recipe is what makes these pancakes so fluffy. When you use buttermilk AND let the batter rest. your pancakes are going to be so fluffy and delicious.
To get a little more technical, the acid in the buttermilk kickstarts the baking which will create the extra height in the pancakes.
How do I know when to flip the pancakes?
- Bubbles have formed in the pancake batter
- The pancake doesn't stick to the pan (it slides around if you move the pan)
- The bottom of the pancake that's touching the pan is golden brown
Frequently Asked Questions
A minimum of 30 minutes to 1 hour
Yes! You can make your own buttermilk right at home. Measure the buttermilk according to instructions and remove 2 tbsp of buttermilk. Add in 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice and mix. Let sit for a few minutes then add into the batter.
The other alternative that you can use is kefir! Substitute for the same amount and you'll still get a fluffy and delicious pancake.
Yes - add anything you want from nuts, nut butter and fruits. My favorite mix-ins are blueberries, chocolate chunks or bananas.
I like to keep it simple and top the pancakes with butter and maple syrup but can also be enjoyed with honey, fresh fruit, nut butter and nuts.
In my opinion, I love to stick to the classic pancakes with syrup - it never disappoints!
Store in an airtight container for 3-5 days in the fridge or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- If you're looking for a healthier version of pancakes, try this Low Calorie Pancakes Recipe (with banana!).
- Buttermilk Banana Bread is the BEST banana bread you will ever have. It's the perfect start to your day or a sweet snack for a pick-me-up.
- Love lemon? Try my recipe for Lemon Poppy Seed Pancakes with Ricotta.
- If you love pumpkin season as much as I do, try these Pumpkin Protein Pancakes. They are sure to get you in the fall mood!
- If you like baking with buttermilk, these Gluten Free Blondies use buttermilk as a secret ingredient for getting the perfect texture and richness.
If you try these Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes, please consider leaving a rating and comment at the end of this blog post. It is incredibly helpful to my business and your fellow readers!
Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour or regular all purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar or monk fruit sweetener
- 2 eggs
- 2 ½ cup buttermilk
- 3 tbsp salted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix the eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla in a separate bowl. I found that using a whisk is the best tool for this.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet. Be careful to not over mix the batter as it could make the pancakes dense.
- Allow the batter to sit for 30 minutes. This is key to getting these pancakes incredibly fluffy!
- Grease a pan and turn the burner on medium heat.
- Scoop about ⅓ cup of batter into a circular shape on the pan. I usually do 2-3 pancakes at a time.
- Spread the batter evenly into the level of pancake thickness you want!
- Flip your pancakes when bubbles start to form. The pancakes are done when it gets to that perfect golden color on both sides.
- Top with your favorite butter (I love to use a whipped honey cinnamon butter), maple syrup and enjoy!
sikis izle says
Good article! We are linking to this particularly great post on our website. Keep up the good writing. Jobye Hayward Seligman
Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy the pancakes 🙂
I enjoy reading through an article that can make people think. Lorrayne Theodoric Rockwood
erotik izle says
I really like your writing style, fantastic info , regards for putting up : D. Tonie Carce Foote
sikis izle says
This article is in fact a fastidious one it assists new internet viewers, who are wishing for blogging. Adan Abelard Ressler
Appreciation to my father who shared with me on the topic of this website, this blog is in fact remarkable. Casie Avictor Casey
I appreciate you sharing this blog. Much thanks again. Awesome. Brita Pierson Zak
erotik izle says
Really enjoyed this article post. Thanks Again. Great. Gwenore Erny Clerc
erotik film izle says
You could definitely see your enthusiasm in the article you write. Nonna Corrie Albion
Wonderful work! That is the kind of information that are supposed to be shared across the internet. Elsie Freeland Reeve
Very good post! We will be linking to this particularly great post on our site. Keep up the great writing. Annabelle Rurik Northington
film modu says
Thank you for your article post. Much thanks again. Fantastic. Halli Laughton Gatian
Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful article. Thank you for supplying this info. Inger Derry Weiser
movie online says
I was excited to find this website. I want to to thank you for ones time due to this fantastic read!! I definitely enjoyed every part of it and i also have you book-marked to see new things on your web site. Rubi Isaac Ash
It's awesome to pay a visit this web page and reading the views of all friends about this piece
of writing, while I am also zealous of getting knowledge.
Magnificent web site. Plenty of useful info here.
I am sending it to a few pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.
And naturally, thank you to your effort! asmr 0mniartist
Hi there, every time i used to check weblog posts here in the early hours in the
dawn, because i enjoy to find out more and more.
Clarence Parvis says
Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is wonderful blog. A fantastic read. I'll certainly be back.|
Thank you so much! I appreciate your kind words and feedback
Felton Forgach says
Thanks for the marvelous posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you will be a great author. I will always bookmark your blog and will eventually come back sometime soon. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great work, have a nice evening!|
Thank you so much for your kind words and support!
Hanh Salmen says
Greetings! I've been reading your site for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Porter Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the excellent job!|
Thank you so much! I appreciate you
Isiah Resetar says
Wow! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It's on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Superb choice of colors!|
Thank you for the kind words!
Stewart Hilborn says
Wow, superb blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is great, as well as the content!|
Katharyn Barnette says
I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to construct my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. thank you|
Riley Warsme says
Grady Massiah says
Greate article. Keep writing such kind of info on your page. Im really impressed by it.
Consuelo Carnrike says
I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I don't know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already 😉 Cheers!|
Jason Husky says
Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?|
Maile Edmerson says
Thanks very nice blog!|
Bruce Buchmeier says
I am really impressed along with your writing abilities as well as with the layout for your weblog. Is that this a paid subject matter or did you customize it your self? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it's rare to peer a nice blog like this one these days..|
Gina Abernathy says
You can't beat a stack of buttermilk pancakes for breakfast. Although, we prefer to have breakfast for dinner at least once a week. These pancakes were fantastic and I plan to keep your recipe in my file for more delicious pancakes.