gluten free lemon muffins are fluffy, bright and full of delicious flavor. this muffin recipe uses simple ingredients and no processed sugar, making them a perfect way to start your day.
there's nothing like waking up to fresh muffins in the morning. however, if they're not being made for you this recipe is the perfect one to make.
it's a simple recipe so it doesn't take too much time to make. however, that doesn't mean it lacks in flavor! each muffin is bursting with lemon and the poppy seeds!
the flavor of the muffins are clearly off the charts but the texture is right there with it. the muffins are light and fluffy but also sturdy enough to hold in your hand.
because no one likes a muffin that falls apart when they pick it up!
even though summer is coming to an end these are just as tasty in the fall. and for when that lemon craving hits you in the winter. let these muffins be your go-to fix.
ingredients used to make these muffins
flavor and texture
what is your ideal texture for a muffin? in my opinion, the perfect muffin is light and airy BUT it holds up on it's own.
these muffins stand tall and don't sink after taking them out of the oven. we all have been there, right?
and what's the point of a muffin with no flavor? these muffins are full of delicious lemon flavor and bring me right back to my childhood. i always looked forward to the days i would wake up to smelling lemon poppy seed muffins that my mom made.
both the flavor and texture of these muffins are ideal, creating an enjoyable muffin experience!
key factors to making these muffins perfect
- prepping your muffin tin - make sure you line your muffin tins with greased muffin liners. i use coconut oil spray for all of my sweet recipes.
- muffin pan placement - spread the muffins out and don't bake any next to each other. by baking in every other muffin tin, this gives the muffins room to breathe and rise high to create the dome top we all love and want.
- lemon zest AND lemon juice - some recipes only call for lemon zest in the recipe. however, by also adding the lemon juice to the batter it really brings that punch of lemon flavor.
frequently asked questions
yes, of course! regular all purpose flour will lead to the same result. i do not recommend substituting almond flour, coconut flour or oat flour as that has not been tested.
i suggest using plain greek yogurt (full, low or non fat will all work). don't use any flavored greek yogurt as that will obstruct the lemon flavor of the muffin.
you can use any plain / unsweetened milk that you prefer! even regular milk, it does not have to be vegan / plant-based.
to make 12 muffins just double the measurements of each ingredient. for baking, still bake each muffin in every other tin. the spacing gives the muffins room to breathe and rise. you can do this by baking two trays at once or one at time.
store in an airtight container for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
if you like this recipe, try these muffins!
- fluffy bakery style banana muffins
- gluten free coffee cake muffins
- bakery style pumpkin muffins
- healthy cornbread muffins
if you try this recipe, please consider leaving a rating and comment at the end of this blog post. it is incredibly helpful to my business and to your fellow readers!
gluten free lemon muffins with poppy seeds
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup granulated organic cane sugar
- ¾ cup greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp butter melted and cooled
- 1 lemon zest
- ½ lemon juice
- 1 ½ cups gluten free flour
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- ½ tbsp baking powder
- preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- whisk together the egg and sugar until light and fluffy
- fold in the greek yogurt, mix until fully combined
- add the butter and mix
- incorporate in the gluten free flour ½ cup at a time and mix until combined
- add the poppy seeds and baking powder to the batter
- mix one more time until fully combined
- using an ice cream scooper, fill every other muffin liner with batter. the liners should be filled to about the top
- bake for 20 minutes
- the muffins are done when slightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean
- let cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!