gluten free pumpkin banana bread is the perfect treat to make during the fall and winter. it's moist, fluffy and filled with a scrumptious pumpkin spice flavor.
this is the best recipe to make during the fall and winter. the pumpkin spice will get you in a cozy mood when paired with a comforting banana bread.
besides being delicious, the batter comes together easily. the longest wait is letting the batter rest before transferring it to the loaf pan.
i like to add pumpkin seeds on top for a nice crunch, but you don't have to add them!
this recipe is gluten free friendly but can also be made using regular all purpose flour. all of these ingredients can be easily found during the fall and winter months.
- gluten free flour
- regular buttermilk
- ripe bananas
- baking powder
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon
- pumpkin spice
- ground nutmeg
why should you make this pumpkin banana bread?
this pumpkin banana bread is absolutely delicious. pairing pumpkin spice with the perfect banana bread recipe is a slice of heaven.
the banana bread is moist with the perfect texture in every bite. the buttermilk helps create that moist texture without making the loaf dense. the addition of pumpkin spice elevates the banana bread and makes it perfect to enjoy during the holiday season.
this loaf is so delicious that it didn't even last 24 hours in our household!
how to make gluten free pumpkin banana bread
- preheat the oven to 325 degrees F
- peel and mash the ripe bananas
- in a large mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients
- mix until combined
- fold in the dry ingredients ⅓ cup at a time
- mix until just combined
- let the batter rest for about 1 hour
- pour the batter into a loaf pan that is lined with parchment paper or sprayed with nonstick
- bake until a toothpick comes out clean
- let cool for 1-2 hours before slicing
frequently asked questions
nope! you can use regular all purpose flour at a 1:1 ratio.
you could use regular milk if you don't have buttermilk on hand. however, the best result will come from using buttermilk. this creates the perfect texture and moistness all throughout the gluten free pumpkin banana bread.
after you pour the batter into the loaf pan, spread it in an even layer. then take a knife and run it about ½ inch deep through the middle of the batter. once it bakes, you'll have the perfect middle line/opening that everyone loves!
the bread is done baking when a toothpick comes out clean without any crumbs. the edges will be lightly browned.
store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days at room temperature or 5 days in the refrigerator.
- buttermilk banana bread
- copycat paula deen pumpkin bars
- bakery style pumpkin muffins
- buckwheat pumpkin bread
- gluten free pumpkin chocolate chip cookies
if you try this recipe, please consider leaving a rating and comment at the end of this blog post! it is incredibly helpful to my small business and to your fellow readers.
gluten free pumpkin banana bread
- 2 bananas mashed
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds for topping (optional)
- preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper
- mash the ripe bananas until mostly smooth, some clumps will remain
- add in the butter, eggs, buttermilk and granulated sugar
- mix until fully combined
- fold in the gluten free flour ⅓ cup at a time as well as the baking soda, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice with the last ⅓ cup of flour
- mix again until just combined
- rest the batter for 1 hour in the mixing bowl
- spray the parchment paper in the loaf pan with non stick and transfer the batter into the loaf pan after fully rested
- spread in an even layer and use a knife to make a line down the middle
- sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top if you want to add them
- bake for a total of ~1 hour (rotating the loaf pan halfway through)
- remove from the oven when a toothpick comes out clean
- let cool completely before slicing (1-2 hours or more)
- slice and enjoy!